Montcalm Field Day
MSU Montcalm Research Center
4725 McBride Rd. NW
Lakeview, MI 48850
MPIC Research Committee meeting at Douglass Township Hall from 2-4 PM immediately following the event.
9:00 AM: Introductions Chris Long and Dr. Kelly Turner
9:05 – 9:30 AM: Developing resilient potatoes in the age of “Sustainable Potato Production” and “Regenerative Agriculture”.
- What is next in variety development? Dr. Dave Douches
- Effects of water on crop development, and plant stress reduction: Dr. Yi Wang
Three Concurrent Sessions:
9:40 – 12:30 PM
1.) Impacts of irrigation water use on, potato production, the environment, and the economics of my operation.
- Simplifying technology and increasing access to in-field environmental data: Dr. Younsuk Dong
- Why upgrade irrigation systems?
- Great Lakes Ag: Tools to improving water well production efficiency: Emily Main
- Michigan Valley Irrigation: How does telemetry increase efficiency: John McGee
- Farm Services: Nozzle calibration, system uniformity, nozzle upgrades: Jason Preston
2.) Irrigation Management Effects on Potato Production.
- Irrigation water and herbicide efficiency: Dr. Erin Burns
- Water and pathogen interaction: Dr. Jaime Willbur, Jill Check
- Water and soil fertility interactions including update on Potato Soil Health Project: Dr. Kurt Steinke, Madelyn Celovsky
- “See and Spray” technology: Dr. Erin Burns, Mathew Klein
3.) Storage management
- Importance of tuber periderm integrity: Celeste Dmytryszyn, Dr. Ray Hammerschmidt
- Variety resistance to storage pathogens: Emma Schlachter
- Varietal black spot bruise sensitivity and importance of understanding tuber condition going into storage: Chris Long
12:30 PM: Lunch
Tillage Demo: Mathew Klein
2:00 PM MPIC Research Committee Meeting Douglas Township Hall