Membership is open to anyone interested in helping to ensure decision makers in Lansing have reliable economic information and sound science in making decision on issues that could have an impact on potato production in Michigan.
Grower Leader Membership
This membership is open to those individuals who are actively engaged in the production of potatoes. Dues for Sustaining Membership are $1.50 per acre of potato production. The members have full voting privileges.
Sustaining Industry Leader Membership
This membership is open to any individual or business looking to support the cause of the organization. Dues for Sustaining Industry Leader Membership are $500.00 annually.
Associate Industry Leader Membership
This membership is open to any individual or business looking to support the cause of the organization. Dues for Associate Industry Leader Membership are $250.00 annually.
Click below to become a PGMI member today.
The current priorities of the PGMI Board of Directors include:
- Passage of statewide Certified Seed Law
- Conduct office visits to all new legislators
- Conduct events to educate decision makers on key issues
- Monitor water quality issues including the Western Lake Erie Basin
- Support efforts related to water usage that include legislative fixes to support regional models and the promotion Water Use Councils with members at the local level
Some key issues that PGMI have impacted include:
- Water Usage Issues including Conflict Resolution and the Water Assessment Tool
- Project GREEEN’s legislative appropriation for plant commodity research
- Maintaining potatoes in the school lunch program
- Maintaining registrations of key pest controls and sprout inhibitors
- Maintaining funding and legislative recognition for Michigan's voluntary environmental programs
- Maintaining Michigan's flexible truck axle configurations
- Getting potatoes recognized as a vegetable and included in the WIC Fruit and Vegetable Voucher
In 2013 Potato Growers of Michigan, Inc. formed a political action committee creating a vehicle for the organization to make contributions to political campaigns. PGMI PAC is registered as a PAC in both the State of Michigan and with the Federal Elections Commission.
Members interested in contributing to the PGMI PAC can contact Kelly Turner, PGMI Manager for more information.